Certificate I in Spoken and Written English
Program code 10362NAT
CRICOS Course Code 092187M
Course duration 24 weeks
Delivery mode Face to face training
Campus location and delivery site 337-339 La Trobe Street / 338 Queen Street, Melbourne 3000 VIC
The Certificate I in Spoken and Written English provides a general framework for learners to develop English language and literacy skills to undertake further education and training, seek and maintain employment and participate in the general community.
The course is intended also to assist local and international students in the development of their English language skills, needed to access services in the general community, or provide a pathway to employment.
Graduates of CSWE I will be able to apply the knowledge gained from this qualification to a limited range of community, work and educational contexts, but this knowledge provides the necessary foundation upon which graduates can continue their language, literacy and numeracy development.
The courses contained within the CSWE framework may be aligned to Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF), International Second Language Proficiency Rating (ISLPR) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
The levels which equate to CSWE I are:
- ACSF 1
- ISLPR 1
- IELTS 3
- TOEFL internet based score 25 or TOEFL 377 paper based
- Over 18 years of age OR
- International students under the age of 18 is required to have guardianship and accommodation arrangements in place and provide all supporting evidence to GBCA for approval. Upon approving the arrangements, GBCA will issue a CoE and the Confirmation of Approved Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) Letter to the student. The letter is to be presented to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) when the student applies for a student visa.
English requirement: To participate in CSWE I, the student must have completed either
- 10361NAT – Course in Preliminary Spoken and Written English or
- IELTS (general): 2 or
- TOEFL internet based score 20 or TOEFL 347 paper based or
- GBCA’s internal placement test
|Module Code||Module Name|
|SWELRN101A||Basic learning strategies|
|SWEINF104A||Comprehending spoken information and instructions|
|SWECON105A||Comprehending and participating in short conversations|
|SWEMSG107A||Comprehending and leaving telephone messages|
|SWEINS108A||Comprehending written instructions and completing a short form|
|SWETXT111A||Comprehending and composing short informal written texts|
|SWENEW112A||Comprehending short news and information texts|
A variety of assessment methods will be used throughout the course, including: Homework, Portfolio of Work, Activity, Observation, Oral questions, Written questions
Please refer to the Fee Schedule.