Certificate IV in Spoken and Written English
This is an advanced course suitable for learners who have developed some competence in English language and literacy skills and who have had fair degree of formal or informal exposure to English.
The Certificate IV in Spoken and Written English (CSWE) (Further Studies) provides a general framework for learners who need to develop higher-level language skills to enter vocational, higher education or higher-level training.
Graduates of CSWE IV (Further Studies) will be able to apply the knowledge gained from this qualification for basic social needs and routine situations for everyday commerce, recreation and linguistically undemanding vocational fields. It also provides the necessary foundation upon which graduates can continue with higher education studies.
The levels which equate to CSWE IV are:
- ACSF 4 to 5
- ISLPR 2+ to 3+
- IELTS 6 to 6.5
- TOEFL internet based score 93 or TOEFL 500-583 based
- GBCA has a requirement that students who enrol in this course must be at least 18 years of age or
- International students under the age of 18 is required to have guardianship and accommodation arrangements in place and provide all supporting evidence to GBCA for approval. Upon approving the arrangements, GBCA will issue a CoE and the Confirmation of Approved Accommodation and Welfare (CAAW) Letter to the student. The letter is to be presented to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) when the student applies for a student visa.
English requirement: To participate in CSWE IV, the student must have completed either
- 10364NAT – Certificate III in Spoken and Written English or
- IELTS general 5.0 or,
- TOEFL internet based score 35-44 or TOEFL 417-457 paper based or
- GBCA’s internal placement test
|Module Code||Module Name|
|SWELRN401A||Learning strategies for further studies|
|SWEREA404A||Reading and note-taking skills for further studies|
|SWEPER405A||Writing skills for persuasive essays|
|SWEANA406A||Writing skills for academic reports|
|SWELIS407A||Listening and taking notes in presentations|
|SWESPE408A||Speaking and writing skills for presentations|
|SWEDIS409A||Speaking skills for discussions|
A variety of assessment methods will be used throughout the course, including: Homework, Portfolio of Work, Activity, Observation, Oral questions, Written questions
Please refer to the Fee Schedule.