Diploma of Interpreting (Spanish-English)
Program Code PSP50916
CRICOS Course Code 091761E
Institution Number 940716
Course Duration 52 weeks
Delivery Mode Combination of face-to-face and online learning
Campus Location and Delivery Site 337-339 La Trobe Street, 338 Queen Street, Melbourne 3000
This course is designed for students who are planning to work as a paraprofessional interpreter (Spanish – English) typically in the community and business domains.
During the program, our experienced and NAATI qualified trainers will step by step guide you through various interpreting exercises and help you to develop:
- Notes taking skills for interpreting purposes
- Short term memory retention skills
- Make sense of the briefing and quickly set up your mindset in the dialogue context
- Pick up idioms/collocations and relay in the other language correctly in a blink of eye.
- Build a comprehensive knowledge of Australian community services, and collocations/glossary in both English and Spanish.
- And many more skills…
This program is endorsed by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). Students who successfully graduate from this qualification will be eligible to sit the certification test for the: NAATI Certified Provisional Interpreter.
Applicants must satisfy all requirements as below:
- Satisfactory completion of Australian Year 11 or equivalent or higher
- Minimum of IELTS 5.5 (no band less than 5) or equivalent, or
- Successfully complete the GBCA English for Academic Purposes 1 (EAP1)
Applicant will be a native Spanish speaker or demonstrate equivalent speaking skill through an interview in Spanish.
|Unit Code and Name|
|PSPTIS001 – Apply codes and standards to ethical practice|
|PSPTIS002 – Build glossaries for translating and interpreting assignments|
|PSPTIS003 – Prepare to translate and interpret|
|PSPTIS040 – Interpret in general dialogue settings (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS041 – Interpret in general monologue settings (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS042 – Manage discourses in general settings|
|PSPTIS043 – Use routine subject area terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS045 – Demonstrate routine English proficiency in different subjects and cultural contexts|
|PSPTIS046 – Use routine education terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS047 – Use routine health terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS048 – Use routine legal terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|SITXLAN003 – Conduct oral communication in a language other than English|
A variety of assessment methods will be used throughout the course, including: Observation of students performing a practical interpreting task/s, Role play, Written response.