Diploma of Interpreting
Become Eligible To Sit The Test For The NAATI Provisional Certified Interpreter
Learn and develop your language skills that are needed to become a professional interpreter in Australia through practical learning and training
Study A NAATI Enorsed Program
This program is endorsed by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). Students who successfully graduate from this qualification will be eligible to sit the certification test for the: NAATI Certified interpreter.
What Our Students Say About our
Course outline (Domestic)
Course Code: PSP50916
What can I do with a Diploma of Interpreting (Mandarin-English)?
This course is designed for students who are planning to work as a paraprofessional interpreter (Mandarin – English) typically in the community and business domains.
During the program, our experienced and NAATI qualified trainers will step by step guide you through various interpreting exercises and help you to develop:
- Notes taking skills for interpreting purposes
- Short term memory retention skills
- Make sense of the briefing and quickly set up your mindset in the dialogue context
- Pick up idioms/collocations and relay in the other language correctly in a blink of eye.
- Build a comprehensive knowledge of Australian community services, and collocations/glossary in both English and Mandarin.
- And many more skills…
Our mock exam simulates the final exam conditions, level of difficulty and marking procedures. Our trainers provide personal feedback to help you identify your own strength as well as areas for further development.
There are no set requirements for this course. It is recommended that domestic students would meet one of below requirements:
- Satisfactory numeracy and literacy skills to undertake this course, or
- Mature age and have sufficient work experience to successfully undertake this course, or
- Satisfactory complete year 12.
- Proficient in Mandarin (speaking and listening skills)
Domestic applicants will undertake the language, literacy and numeracy test and the digital skill test as part of the Pre-Training Review.
How long does it take to do a Diploma of Interpreting
This course is delivered in 52 weeks, include term breaks and public holidays.
Class schedule: 2 sessions per week.
What languages are in high demand for translators 2021?
- Spanish. Most people will be able to guess correctly that Spanish is the language in the highest demand for translators. …
- Mandarin. Mandarin is another language in very high demand, especially in the international business sector. …
- Any Language
A variety of assessment methods will be used throughout the course, including Observation of students performing role-playing, Written report, Observation of Presentation, Analysis of case study/Response to simulated work scenario, Written questioning.
Can I Study Diploma of Interpreting (Mandarin-English) Online?
Yes You Can!
GBCA is currently offering students the option to study Diploma of Interpreting (Mandarin-English) Online or on-campus during the pandemic.
Is this Course Government Funded?
This course is delivered with Victorian and Commonwealth Government funding under the Skills First Program. Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply for training subsidised through the Skills First Program.
For more information about our government-funded courses, please visit The Skills Funding Page
|Unit Code||Unit Name|
|PSPTIS001||Apply codes and standards to ethical practice|
|PSPTIS002||Build glossaries for translating and interpreting assignments|
|PSPTIS003||Prepare to translate and interpret|
|PSPTIS040||Interpret in general dialogue settings (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS041||Interpret in general monologue settings (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS042||Manage discourses in general settings|
|PSPTIS043||Use routine subject matter terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS045||Demonstrate routine English proficiency in different subjects and cultural contexts|
|PSPTIS046||Use routine education terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS047||Use routine health terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|PSPTIS048||Use routine legal terminology in interpreting (LOTE-English)|
|SITXLAN003||Conduct oral communication in a language other than English|